Durant, Smallie and Anaconda Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Infamous Bartica Massacre


After years since the brutal Bartica Massacre took place, some family members can finally celebrate a sense of justice and relief as Mark Royden Williams, called ‘Durant’ and ‘Smallie’; and Dennis Williams, called ‘Anaconda’ were late Thursday night sentenced to death by hanging while the third murder accused Roger Anthony Simon, called ‘Goat Man’ was released.

Justice Roxanne George, SC found Mark Williams and Dennis Williams guilty on seven (7) counts of murder, and five (5) counts of manslaughter while Roger Simon was found not guilty on all counts but due to other pending terrorism charges he will remain in custody.

The court case lasted for three (3) months and over thirty (30)  witnesses testified towards the judgement of the twelve gang members implicated in the Bartica Massacre.

The Bartica Massacre refers to the murder of twelve residents of Bartica, Cuyuni-Mazaruni, Guyana, allegedly murdered by the criminal gang led by Rondell “Fineman” Rawlins. Rawlins and many of the other suspected gang members. This massacre was part of a series of murders that appeared to have begun with the Mash Day Prison break.

On Sunday night, February 17, 2008, a number of gunmen attacked the mining community of Bartica, Essequibo, killing twelve residents and injuring several others. The group of about twenty armed gunmen arrived at Bartica by speed boat. They landed at the Transport and Harbours wharf around 10pm on Sunday night. Upon arrival, they attacked the Bartica Police Station, where they killed Lance Corporal Zaheer Zakir, Constable Shane Fredericks and Constable Ron Osbornes. After murdering the three police officers, the gang stole cash, arms, ammunition and a vehicle from the police station. Using the stolen police vehicle, they drove through the streets of Bartica shooting at civilians, fatally wounding Irwin Gilkes. They then proceeded to CBR Mining, where they killed Irving Ferreira, stole arms and ammunition, and removed two safes containing cash and gold. Next, they shot and killed Dexter Adrian before returning to the wharf. At the wharf, they executed Abdool Yassin Jr, Deonarine Singh, Errol Thomas, Ronald Gomes, Baldeo Singh and Ashraf Khan. After their one-hour rampage, the gunmen departed from Bartica by boat.